Monday, February 8, 2010

Alyce Proper at the Wassaic School


She was my teacher at the three room Wassaic School for grades 4, 5 and 6.

I feel she was a caring, friendly person always ready to give a helping hand and always ready with an interesting project for her students to do.
My favorite teacher was Alyce Proper.

I remember once being invited – along with several others - to her home for dinner. I think that was because we were her “special helpers” that year. I am sure it was her caring attitude and the interesting activities that made me want to be a teacher too.

My years in the Wassaic School generated many happy memories. The nature walks, the special lunch program, morning chapel, access to lots of books and the special holiday activities are just a few of them.
My time with Mrs. Proper was during World War II and those were hard economic times. Thus these outlets at school were important to me and to the children of Wassaic.

Doris Smith
February, 2010




Doris Smith attended the State University at New Paltz to prepare for her teaching career at Webutuck where she taught for over 40 years. She retired in 1995, but returned to work to do special consulatation in combining grades and academic intervention.









No comments: