Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ginny Armstrong-From a Family of Teachers

One of our community’s long-time educators passed away in 2009.


I had known Ginny Armstrong since I had been in her fourth grade class in Amenia Elementary School in the late 1950s. She was one of several influential teachers in my life.

Ginny’s soft voice, gentle nudging and high expectations were just what I needed as a young, insecure child. I had such a positive feeling about school and myself that year. I remember her as the youngest, prettiest, kindest teacher I had ever known and I idolized her. I am certain that my decision to become a teacher took root that year.

Twenty-seven years later my daughter had the good fortune to become a student of Ginny’s in her first grade classroom. Coincidently, I was hired during that same school year to work with the first grade team. As a co-teacher Ginny was generous with her time, ideas and supplies. As the teacher of my child she was the same soft-spoken, encouraging teacher I had known as a child.

When Ginny retired at the end of that year I was offered her position and classroom. For the next twenty-three years I felt Ginny’s presence in my classroom as I worked with my own first graders. I feel fortunate to have crossed paths with this special woman several times through the years.

Gail Gamble


Ginny Armstrong surrounded by several of her many friends. L to R: Doris Smith, Ginny, Sylvia Clark, Linda Bruzgul and Marilyn Smith. Person in front: unknown. Photo taken in the early 80's.




Lots of teachers in the family!
Ginny was the oldest of 5 sisters.
Her sisters are: Joan, Carol, Linda and Sue.
Ginny and her sister Joan attended a one-room school house in Millbrook. It was called "Shady Dell",and is located on Shady Dell Lane, a dirt road off 343 in Millbrook.

Ginny's mother Anna Sherow, taught for many years in another one room schoolhouse in Millbrook, New York. Daughter Jane was a Professor of the Biology at a Community College near Sparta, New Jersey for 12 years until moving to an administrative position, where she currently works.
Jane says of her teacher mother: "My mom was my inspiration because I enjoyed going to work with her and she helped me get a teacher's aide summer job at the state school and Webutuck district when I was home for the summers from college."
Ginny's sister Joan became a teacher of physical education in Valley Stream.

Ellen Walsh

No comments: