Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sister Grace and Browny, or Sister Theophane part II

During the 1970's both the names and the styles of the habits the nuns wore changed. Each order had different regulations and changed at a different time. Sister Theophane became Sister Grace and no longer wore the old habit. Her teaching style remained the same, however.

It is told that on the first day Sister Grace wore her new shorter skirt, she noticed that the children were staring at her legs and feet.
"Well, " she said, "what did you expect -wheels?"





Browny was a neighborhood pet who belonged to Maryann & Dick LaMay. Every day Browny and several other dogs visited their friends at Immaculate Conception School, but none of the canines loved school as much as Browny. She loved to stay right in the classroom with the children, sleeping peacefully while they learned their lessons.
On occasion, the whole group would take a break to play and laugh, then Maryann would have to come to school and take Browny home for the day. When class photos were taken, Browny posed proudly right next to Sister Grace, her favorite teacher.

A letter to Indian Rock in response to our inquiry about the names of the children in Browny's class:

My name is Ann Marie Golding-Lull. I read the article in this weeks Harlem
Valley Times. I am one of the students in the picture that is shown with the
article. When I looked at the picture before reading the article I realized
that it was my class picture. I think that picture was taken when I was in
the 2 nd grade.It brought back the fond memories of when I was a child going
to ICS. I still know all the students names in my class.
from left to right
top row :Richard Ellis,Shonnan Quinn, Mark Leopole, Steven Norbert, Frank
Cooper, bottom row left to right: Ann Marie Golding, Tonya Melman, Melissa
Mercay, Mary Piggott, Mary Lamont and Monica Anderson.Hopefully this helped
solved the mystery for this one picture.
Do you have more Sister Theophane stories? E-mail us at IndianRockschool@aol.com

No comments: