Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Year of the Teacher - October


The "Teachers' Walk" at Indian Rock Schoolhouse Picnic and Community Day


Barbara Wrobel ("Aunt Barbara") strolls up the special Teachers' Walk at Indian Rock Schoolhouse enjoying the photos of teachers whose biographies have been published on this blog. This portrait project has been a wonderful way to remember the teachers of our community and several from far away.

At the picnic other teachers were honored, in particular Ginny Armstrong, whose family attended the September festivities, remembering Ginny's life and many friends.

The late Justine Winters, much loved District Superintendent, was honored by the Amenia Lions gift of a bench, installed for the occasion in the new flower garden. Everyone was pleased that Charley Winters, Justine's husband, was able to come for a brief visit that day.


But the Year of the Teacher is not over yet...We take up the story again with the story of Kitty O'Brien written by her student Ginny Kane Eschbach, who was a teacher for many years just like her mentor...Mrs. O'Brien.



Kitty O’Brien

I looked forward to school every single day during my year in Seventh Grade. That was my year with Mrs. O’Brien. Those memories evoke warm feelings that remain so vivid after many decades. Her cheerfully decorated classroom at Sharon Center School reflected her nurturing approach to life with a cozy reading corner complete with a rocking chair and lighted lamps. Lovely plants lined the windowsills, and fresh flowers were always graciously accepted.
There was something reassuring about her beautiful smile that greeted us each morning. She genuinely cared that we were there. I have no memories of her ever raising her gentle voice, but I can hear her laughter when we shared our jokes with her.

One of my memories concerns the time a classmate experienced an extraordinary family tragedy. When he returned to school, Mrs. O’Brien gathered the class together and spoke so beautifully to him that her words have remained with me. It was clear that all of us would support him through his ordeal. I understand now how her empathy was a powerful example for her students.
Whether it was a creative writing task, a science project, or a math problem I remember being challenged, but I especially remember being encouraged to do my best. I recall that our work was thoughtfully displayed around the room, and that must have given us a sense of accomplishment. I remember her taking the time to praise us as well as our work. I recall her asking us for our thoughts and being encouraged to explore them. In retrospect, I realize that Mrs. O’Brien understood the importance of creating an environment that allowed each of us to be successful.


Because I shared my mother’s (Kay Kane) passion to teach, I observed what teaching involved outside of the classroom. Although I was aware of how much time and thought went into planning lessons and preparing materials, I understood her enthusiasm for her profession. But as a student, I was mostly influenced by my time with Mrs. OBrien. Imagine how thrilled I was when she arranged for me to spend time helping in the Kindergarten classroom. I still remember being encouraged to actually plan a lesson!
During my early years as a middle school teacher, I would find myself thinking- what would Mrs. O’Brien do or say. When it was appropriate, I actually incorporated some of her projects into my own teaching. I hoped that I was able to create the same environment for my students.
Then many years later, I returned to teach at Sharon Center. The first time I walked back into my old seventh grade classroom, those cherished memories returned. As students, I’m sure none of us realized that our seventh grade year would provide us with lifelong enrichment.
As a young mother, I became involved in the program at our parish’s CCD Office along side Mrs. O’Brien. I remember being a little nervous about our new relationship until she said, “Please call me Kitty”. I wonder if she understood how difficult it was to make the transition. What a privilege to have known such a wonderful person.

Submitted by Ginny Eschbach





No comments: